Monday, May 31, 2010

Reader of Mine

Reader of Mine,

I was born in Alaska and raised in the little town of Wasilla. It was here that I learned to love hunting and fishing, along with many other outdoor sports, but these are my two favorites. I also started playing hockey while living in Wasilla and continued playing until I joined the military and left to see the world in 1984, and see the world I did. I have been to the following locals while in the US Navy: Italy, France, Spain, Greece, Sicily, Israel, Grenada, Jamaica and the US Virgin Islands and I have driven across the United States twice and the Alcan once. I was well traveled by the time I was twenty-five. I am married to a wonderful woman named Dina and we have four kids between us, his/hers. One of our favorite pastimes is camping and fishing together.

This is my second quarter here at Everett Community College. I am back in school after falling off a ladder and hurting myself in several places, and I have found out that it is true that the shinbone is connected to the knee bone and the knee bone is connected to the hipbone and they all work in conjunction to make some days miserable. I will be having my back operated on this summer so I will not be gracing this campus during the summer quarter.

English 98H has been one of my tougher classes that I have taken here at school due to the complexity of the writing subjects. One of the hardest papers for me to write was the definition paper, which we had to do in week 3. This paper appeared to be very easy at first, and then attempting to write a three-page essay describing one word sank in and I was stressed out about it because of its difficulty. I did finish this paper along with each of the others that had been assigned to us during English 98H with Miss Phebe Shen.

During our time in Englilsh 98H we were required to read two book, Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and The Absolutely True Story of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexi. Both of these books were pleasant to read, yet I found myself drawn more toward Three Cups of Tea due to its writing style. Both of these books dealt with education but in a much different way. Alexi’s book was aimed at young high school while Mortenson’s book was a bit harder, therefore geared towards college and up readers.

I have arrived at my four picks for my E-portfolio by going through all of my papers and picking out the ones that show the most improvement in my writing. I am starting with “An Inventory of Being”, Professor Shen had us write this the first week of class, following this is “Promises”, our second major writing assignment,

No comments:

Post a Comment